IGRT (Image-Guided Radiation Therapy)
Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) is the process of frequent two and three-dimensional imaging, during a course of radiation treatment, used to direct radiation therapy utilizing the imaging to treat this changes in portion of tumors to accurately pinpoint where radiation should target
Advantages of IGRT
- IGRT is used as part of radiation treatment plans because it offers:
- Accurate delivery of radiation.
- Improved definition, localization and monitoring of tumor position, size and shape before and during treatment.
- The possibility of higher, targeted radiation dosage to improve tumor control.
- Decreased radiation exposure to normal tissue surrounding the tumor.